GPS Options for ADL - Not ADL2

Discontinued earlier generation Dash Loggers

Re: GPS Options for ADL - Not ADL2

Postby Lip on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Hi Robin, die Einstellungen würden auch mich sehr interessieren. Wäre toll, wenn Du das einstellen könntest.
Danke Philipp
Lip

Postby mwiener on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:11 am

I have been doing a bit of research. Interesting thing is the ADL apparently has always been capable of GPS integration. In fact, there are a number of templates in the RS232 configuration for certain GPS modules. If anyone can supply more info on offset, id, and idmask for the RS232 template that appears to be where you define the parsing of the GPS sensor text messaging into discrete channels, and then populate those channels for logging. ( thanks Jurgen for the config! )

It also makes sense that you use I2 to combine the 3 pieces into a long number for track mapping. Robin, if I could get your dash configuration and a log file that I can take a look at and play with in I2 to do track mapping that will really help a lot. Once I figure out how the combining of the 3 discrete fields into a long integer is done and how track map works, I think I can complete this project. I am not in a big hurry. Race season is over, I am working on my Winter projects now. ;-)

That brings me to what I think is the last question of how to do this. Which GPS sensor? I see there are templates for older sensors, but I think I need one that will be able to update in less than 1 second intervals, that can run on 8V or 5V from the ADL or 16V directly off the battery. Last but not least, it should be water resistant if not water proof. Until I figure out the offset, id, and idmask for the RS232 template I am not sure which messaging formats I can support which prohibits me from making a GPS sensor decision. I suspect that it is free formed based on offset, but need more info to determine that.

This thread it turning into a nice how to guide.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Mike.
mwiener

Postby Robin Poenisch on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:06 am

Hello Guys,

attached you'll find my ADL config for DashManager3.2 (Firmware 3.20P). I reduced my car-config to the GPS function only, but i had no time for testing this specific config. However i think it should work.
For getting it work with your system, you should enter a start-logging condition and make sure "Baud Rate" in RS232 template matches the baud rate of your GPS receiver. Furthermore you should be sure your GPS receives the following NMEA sentences:
- VTG
- GGA

NMEA is the format of the received data. More info on the NMEA data: http://www.nmea.de/nmea0183datensaetze.html

Look at the identifier IDs in RS232 template: "5447".
"54" is the hexadezimal ascii-code for "T", "47" represents "G" -> "TG"
in the same way "4741" represents "GA"

If you receive other messages than this ones, you have to adjust the settings to your needs.
But for understanding just look at my config and at the nmea-sentence-definitions, later you may do it for other sentences.

If GPS communication works correct, you should receive plausible values in the GPS channels. "GPS Sats used" should be at least "4". Now you may log some data, open it with i2Pro, import the attached channel maths and then you should finally get 2 channels named "GPS Latitude" and "GPS Longitude".
These 2 channels may now be used for generating track map, or inserting a "GPS Track" above a Time/Distance Graph or something else.

I hope you understood most of my bad english and you don't hesitate to ask if you have still trouble with your GPS :)
Attachments
GPS_Maths.zip
(626 Bytes) Downloaded 1408 times
GPS_with_ADL.D32
(63.73 KiB) Downloaded 1531 times
Robin Poenisch Motorsport
Engineering Services
Electronic Systems

http://www.facebook.com/Poenisch.Motorsport
http://www.poenisch-motorsport.de
Robin Poenisch

Postby jurgen on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:37 am

hello

Does it work for I2 normal???

Greetz
jurgen

Postby Robin Poenisch on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:12 am

jurgen wrote:hello
Does it work for I2 normal???
Greetz

hmmm, i'm not sure. Just open the math file in i2Pro and try to rebuild the "... Intermediate" channels with i2Standard. I use the "int" function in i2Pro for getting the integer part of the fractal channel "Latitude Degrees.Mins". i2Standard does not support the "int" function as far as i know. If you can rebuild this in another way, then I don't see any problem. Or try to do these unsupported maths direct in ADL and log the result.
The "... Intermediate" channels are used for converting data from degress and minutes (60 minutes = 1 degree) to decimal format (1 minute = 0.01667 degrees).

The "... Intermediate" channels then are tested if "GPS Sats used" is greater than "3" and the final channels "GPS Latitude" and "GPS Longitude" are generated. Thats for preventing i2 of messing up if GPS signal is invalid (GPS Sats used < 3). In this case the GPS Track is not really viewable, so I filter the values logged with less than 3 sats. But you can forget to rebuild this in i2Standard. So just directly generate these channels in the first step.
Robin Poenisch Motorsport
Engineering Services
Electronic Systems

http://www.facebook.com/Poenisch.Motorsport
http://www.poenisch-motorsport.de
Robin Poenisch

Postby mwiener on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:06 am

Robin,

Thanks for the information. With all the details, I don't think anyone will have an issue integrating a GPS receiver to an ADL.

I have played a bit with i2 std and I have successfully created a math function. I also reviewed the XML file and that math is straight forward. What I am missing is an ADL created log file with the 5 channels required ( Lat Minutes, Lat Seconds, Long Minutes, Long Seconds, and #of satellites. When I looked into my own ADL config, I discovered that my RS232 port is not accessible from my wire harness, so I can not create GPS data to log to use in testing with i2 std without fixing my wire harness.

I also looked at several log files on the internet, but none of those sample files had GPS data channels in them. Does anyone know of a sample I could get access to?

Based on what I have seen so far, I see no reason why this won't work at this point.

Thanks,

Mike.
mwiener

Postby Martin on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 am

Mwiener,

Ive got some logged data you can have. Its an SDL that logged a 20Hz gps. Let me know if you are interested
Martin
Pro User

Postby mwiener on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:32 am

I can give it a try. Not sure if that data will be logged into 4 discrete channels or into a single long number channel. All I can do it give it a try. I sent you my email address in a private message.

Mike.
mwiener

Postby mwiener on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:42 pm

Sorry it took so long to post back, my day job has been keeping me pretty busy.

Martin, Thanks for the data. Not exactly what I was looking for but it got me started verifying what I thought was the case. With that data I made the following observations:

7 decimal places in the GPS number give you within ½” of accuracy for latitude or longitude; see table at http://www.co.lincoln.wa.us/gis/gps.htm - The data I got from Martin was 7 decimal places and I think it was 10kz GPS. In my mind, 5 decimal places are sufficient.

Based on research I did, the maximum value possible Lat or Long numbers based on the Garmin format of DDDMM.sssss is 18090.99999 or -18090.99999.

I also figured out that the highest value accommodated in an ADL that I can find documented is 19000, with 11214 being the highest number I have seen.

The 19000 leads me to believe we can store lat and long in an ADL in 2 fields, one made up of whole number of Degrees and Minutes, and the second field holding the fractional seconds.

This all assumes the ADL can just store 18090.99999 or -18090.99999. Does anyone have documentation on what the data types are that are supported in the ADL? Is that documented anywhere?

I still need some data where I have to do the math to combine portions of the complete longitude or latitude reading in I2, then generate a track map. I don’t have that yet, so I can not test the combining using the I2 std math yet. Anyone that has that data, I would be happy to give it a try.

Another curious thing about Robins config. I took a close look at it. I determined that its using NEMA sentences, but using the delimited decimal format. Does anyone know how that works? I know how comma delimited works and based on that for the NEMA sentences Robin is using, you would get a value of DDDMM.sssss not separate fields of degrees minutes and seconds. I would be curious in finding out more how delimited decimal works and how a custom definition of fields from the NEMA sentence using delimited decimal format.

That’s the one thing I cant get straight in my mind, how is the lat and long extracted out of the NEMA $GPGGA in Robins config, and then how is that parsed into 3 user defined fields. I believe it works, I am just not sure how it works.

So all that being said, I understand what I am trying to do much better now. I still see no apparent reason why this can not be done.

However, I still need the data to try and put back together before I can say for sure it will.

FYI - found very interesting documentation - but have not had time to read yet convering how the RS232 comms settings work at: download/file.php?id=7

Mike.
mwiener

Postby Lip on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:16 am

Hallo Robin, ich habe Deine Einstellungen endlich mal ausporbieren können und es funktioniert. Vielen Dank für die Tips und Beschreibung. Weil bei mir die track-Funktion rumgesponnen hat, habe ich allerdings geändert, daß das GPS-Signal invalid ist, wenn weniger als 3 Sateliten zur Verfügung stehen. Jetzt funktioniert alles super!

Nochmal vielen Dank und Gruß von Philipp
Lip

PreviousNext

Return to ADL, ADL2 and SDL